A small bugfix release of Tiny Player for Mac is out now. M3U files containing Windows \ path delimiters should be parsed correctly and the “Sudden termination” macOS feature is disabled to make sure the current playlist is saved properly.
Category Archives: News
For the last few years I had been using DigitalOcean to host this website & a few others, file sync and my git repos. Fairly low traffic stuff on a single VPS instance. It was nice and cheap. But still… the recent 20% price increase got me thinking…
Can I build my own server?
Turns out I could! And it was a lot of fun.
I used a 10th generation Intel NUC with a 6-core i7 CPU, 32GB RAM and a 1TB NVMe SSD. Yes, overkill. But the key parameter is power usage. The whole system draws ~7W at idle. What a wonderful little machine!
For the OS I decided to install Ubuntu (22.04 LTS). I’m familiar with it and it was useful having the same OS on both systems. Then, some housekeeping on the old server:
- removed old disconnected websites
- put websites under separate user accounts
- moved from Gogs to Gitea
- organized my git repositories
- setup a more thorough backup procedure
When I had everything ready, I brought the NUC to the new Prague data center and turned it on. It went online and the migration could begin. I started moving websites and services one by one. A few days later, the old VPS instance was empty and I turned it off.
|DigitalOcean||1x vCPU||2GB||50GB + $extra|
|Intel NUC||6x CPU / 12 threads||32GB||1000GB|
There’s plenty of headroom for no extra money and I feel like I’m more self-reliant.
To elaborate a little bit on the backup procedure:
- daily rsync (soon → rsnapshot)
- daily mysql dumps
- /etc and apt package list versioned in git
- secondary NUC ready for deployment
- backup VPS account ready for deployment (prepaid credit)
- up-to-date checklist for configuring the whole software stack
Tiny Player for iOS 1.5.2
Tiny Player version 1.5.2 is out now on iOS. This update contains two fixes:
- Always show IPv4 address for uploads (instead of mangled IPv6)
- Fix dark mode background color in player controls area
If you encounter any problems, please let me know.
Tiny Player for Mac 1.6.3
Recently I had been getting reports that the playlist wasn’t saved properly but I couldn’t reproduce this error. I added tons of extra logging and asked people to send me log files.
Here’s what I discovered:
- A database migration was failing while renaming a table column
- …and it would happen only on macOS 10.14 or older
- …because those systems include an older version of SQLite
- …which doesn’t support renaming columns the way newer ones do
- …and I didn’t notice any of this because my old El Capitan Macbook had died
- …and some versions of the app silently ignored the migration error
It should be fixed now. Takeaways:
- Bundle a private copy of SQLite with the app
- Get an old Mac Mini with 10.11 and use it for regression testing
Also new in this version: simple feedback form. Open Preferences → Feedback and let me know what’s on your mind. You can attach the application log file & preferences with a simple checkbox.
Happy Ho ho.
Tiny Player for Mac 1.6.0
I’m happy to announce Tiny Player for Mac version 1.6.0. The headline feature of this release is Quick search. Here’s how it works:
- Open Preferences → Library and add your music folder(s).
- Press ⌘F to open the search box and start typing
- Drag, drop, boom
As always, if you like the app, you can buy me a coffee. Thanks!
Bonus tip: double click a file in search results to select all from the same folder.
Tiny Player for Mac 1.5.9
Tiny Player for Mac version 1.5.9 is out now. I have optimized the loading of playlist items and metadata. This improves the responsiveness of the app when loading many files at once.
Tiny Player for Mac 1.5.8
Tiny Player for Mac version 1.5.8 is out now. This update fixes saving of playlists (m3u) and the track info window (⌘I) sometimes not appearing. Download here or update your installation through Preferences.
Tiny Player for iOS 1.5.1
Tiny Player version 1.5.1 is out now on iOS. This update brings one new feature: you can drag down the playback controls area to reveal and resize the cover image.
Tiny Player for iOS 1.5.0
Tiny Player version 1.5.0 is out now on iOS. The app was rewritten in Swift which should make it easier to add new features. If you encounter any problems, please let me know.
Tiny Player for Mac 1.5.0
Tiny Player for Mac version 1.5.0 is out now. The app was rewritten in Swift which should make it easier to add new features. If you encounter any problems, please let me know.
UPDATE: version 1.5.7 fixes some stability issues. Download