The main menu of the game is going to have an animated background. Currently I’m thinking it could be the end of the original trailer put on loop:
As a temporary playback solution I used a series of JPEG files. Not very efficient. When looking for a decent video playback library, I found this one:
A brand new “single-header” library for decoding MPEG1 video, by Dominic Szablewski. Simple API, easy to integrate. It’s great!
In fact, I spent more time looking for my .blend source file than writing code to use the library. In Blender, I switched render output from image to video and set the codec to MPEG1. It all worked the first time I ran the game.