I got tired of the constant Tumblr outages and keeping a Django site up and running seemed like too much work, so I made Tempo. Tempo is a small static site generator written in PHP. I use it for this site and will probably use it for some others in the future. It takes
- A small PHP config file
- Text files with a simple header
- Source images of any size
- PHP-based templates
and transforms them into a static html site. It can
- Resize images to fit the specified page width
- Create a blog archive listing page and an Atom feed
- Skip “draft” posts (filenames that start with #)
- …not much else, really. Isn’t that enough?
URLs are built like this:
about.txt becomes about.html
blog-2011-10-10-blog post title.txt becomes blog/2011/10/10/blog-post-title.html
For text formatting, just use HTML tags. URLs starting with http:// are automatically converted into links.
Get the source code here.